If you’ve been charged with a DUI you need to be prepared for your day in court.
If you play your cards right, and get an experienced DWI lawyer, you might be able to avoid a court date alltogether. A criminal defense lawyer can look through the details of your case and figure out where best to lay the foundation your defense. The court system doesn’t want to spend time and precious resources on a case that is destined to be lost, so if your lawyer can present a good defense, the prosecutor may decide to not pursue the case.
A good defense starts with asking the right questions and a very important question is if your stop was legal. If it was not, anything that followed it can be thrown out.
Was the Stop Valid?
- A police officer has to have a just cause to pull you over for a traffic stop.
- There are many cases when they do not have just cause and if this is the case, the entire case can be tossed out on this basis alone.
- The Fourth Amendment to the Constitution guarantees your right to freedom from unreasonable search and seizures and this included unwarranted traffic stops.
- If you ran a red light, or were swerving or speeding, the stop would have been warranted but if there was no observed violation, there stop may well have been unwarranted.
- What is not allowed is a stop based on the location, the proximity to a bar, or the late hour of the night.
It is very difficult to mount a solid defense on your own, even if you know you are in the right. Engage the services of an experienced criminal defense lawyer today and safeguard your rights and freedoms.